Success!!! In my last post I mentioned that I was going to try the Pioneer Woman’s pot roast and blackberry cobbler tonight. The pot roast was to die for. Frank was one happy man and the cobbler afterwards was fantastic as well. For the pot roast, I made it as written but with the addition of about 2 cups of cremini mushrooms.
For the blackberry cobbler, I simply sprinkled less sugar on top after adding in the blackberries, about 1 tablespoon of sugar instead of 1/4 cup, and then at the last 10 minutes of cooking time, I only sprinkled about 2 pinches of sugar on top instead of 2 tablespoons.
While I’m sure that both would have been yummy exactly as written, I made a few small changes just to suit our family’s tastes. Marc likes mushrooms in his pot roast so adding those in was a no-brainer. Just add in cremini or button mushrooms instead of ones with a stronger flavor like porcini mushrooms which can dramatically change the flavor of a dish. Frank likes things to be less sweet, whether it be desserts or sauces, so decreasing the sugar is an easy change. Adaptations to recipes are just something I’ve learned to do over time. Enjoy!